Old 06-19-14, 05:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Color me skeptical. Besides I don't like the idea of taking bikelanes past the basic concept of just giving us a little more real estate, but maybe that's just me set in my old ways of cycling.

Curious on everyone's opinion. I don't really see anything here that unique, but then again I don't spend much time looking at various bike infrastructure designs. There's also a 5-minute video on the link.

BTW, this seems to be something, for now, only in Portland, Or.

A New Bike Lane That Could Save Lives and Make Cycling More Popular | Autopia | WIRED

It's just begging for a long or articulated vehicle to come across the refuge, and motorists are not going to be amused about being placed behind all of this and potentially hindering the view of crossing traffic, causing right of way difficulties and the possibility of increased accidents, not only with other cars but cyclist themselves.

One vehicle that runs quickly through a light turning red and all heck is asking to happen.

The big problem is ODOT can't be counted on to engineer these things that well. Already they have mid-block crosswalk signals in strange places, and out of area drivers who have never seen one blow right through the flashing lights, making them more dangerous than just waiting to cross. I have no faith in the idea for that reason alone.