View Single Post
Old 06-21-14, 04:00 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose Garmin over Falk and other alternatives, simply because I have a greater choice of maps. The Touring uses OCM (Open Cycle Maps), which I don't think the Edge 800 does, and I can use "normal" Garmin maps which are easy to get hold of, rather than alternative maps from other vendors. I might be able to get a "better" GPS cheaper, but it mattered to me how easy I could get hold of maps. I am aware that there also exist OSM maps I can compile and use in the Edge Touring as well as some other brands, but I really don't want to spend time and energy doing that, to be honest. The OCM map (not OSM) that comes with the Edge Touring is updated quite frequently, so although it has to go through Garmin, it is reasonably good. At least in my part of the world. I am leaving tomorrow on a three-week trip, where it will see it first real test. It will be the only mapping device I bring with me, and I will have no paper maps, but then again, it is in Scandinavia, so I won't be too far away from anything.