Old 06-21-14, 07:57 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Color me skeptical. Besides I don't like the idea of taking bikelanes past the basic concept of just giving us a little more real estate, but maybe that's just me set in my old ways of cycling.

Curious on everyone's opinion. I don't really see anything here that unique, but then again I don't spend much time looking at various bike infrastructure designs. There's also a 5-minute video on the link.

BTW, this seems to be something, for now, only in Portland, Or.

A New Bike Lane That Could Save Lives and Make Cycling More Popular | Autopia | WIRED
Ok, I finally read the entire article and watched the video and I also watched/read all the links provided.

When I posted this I just skimmed over it because I came across it by accident. However, after looking at it more in-depth, I see this is really about separated cycling tracks, which I don't want. But no problem, because there is pretty much zero chance of them coming here to my area. However, I'd love to see them established in some areas just to see how it works. And I agree, you cannot just establish separate cycling tracks, period. You got to incorporate all the other features, especially the special traffic light system.

I have seen cycling first hand in Holland and it's just not for me; I guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks Sharing the road is just part of me. I've been commuting for over 25 years and my longest commute was a 50-mile roundtrip and when you do long trips it turns you into a sort of speeddemon. I can't ride around at 11-16 mph pace, even if I have the time; my body is just conditioned to riding faster, it just feels natural.

BTW, you all notice that there is no such thing as a bike path in the U.S. They all become MUPs. Wouldn't separated cycling tracks be the same?