View Single Post
Old 06-22-14, 03:53 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Everybody got out today! Nice pics!

I got out on the Masi this morning, doing a first run on new wheels I strung up a week ago and new tires, Veloflex Criteriums running 140psi.

They performed spectacularly. 44.9 miles, Waltham out to Carlisle, with a moving average around 15.5mph. Don't know exactly because I noticed the start/end times only on the outbound leg, and had a leisurely conversation with someone on the return. Had no flats this trip, probably because I was carrying two spare sew-ups in the handlebar bag. When you are prepared you never encounter the problems you are prepared for!

On the way back I met up with one of the guys who works at Belmont Wheelworks. He and (presumably) his wife were riding matching his'n'hers Raleighs from mid-last century. I asked the year, he told me, and I promptly forgot, but it may have been 1952. Rod brakes, 4-speed Sturmey-Archer rear hubs, white-tail fenders. Really cool. He also recognized my Masi as from Carlsbad, CA ~1975. Not many people even recognize a Masi at all these days.

It was a good day.

Then my sweetie and I took our canoe out the Assabet River. A very pleasant afternoon.