View Single Post
Old 06-24-14, 11:00 AM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
Honestly, I don't understand why rims cost so much.. actually I do understand. Also, the manufacturers have done a great job of discrediting "cheaper" alternatives to the point that the masses are repeating the propaganda.

Look, with the economy of scale and competition rims prices should be coming down. This is true for most goods, the only exception being luxury goods.

Economics 101, with respect to luxury goods. Luxury goods' price elasticity is entirely different from normal run-of-the-mill goods. For the most part, luxury goods are aspirational goods. If manufacturers/purveyors of luxury goods slash/lower prices in response to economic conditions, they might find their sales revenue diminish significantly. It is much to their advantage to curtail their supply a little bit. Consumers, especially luxury goods consumers can be funny. Why buy that BMW 7 Series sedan, if BMW lower the price? It means your babysitter or housemaid might be able to afford one. Where is the joy in that?

Of course, I exaggerated a bit to make the point, but don't expect Zipp to lower their prices soon on carbon wheels.