Old 06-26-14, 08:54 AM
worktheweb
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Mt. Shasta - Capella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the high spoke count wheels. When I started biking years ago, I weighed more than you do and I had lots of issues keeping the wheels true. Once I invested in a high spoke count wheel from a good builder, those problems disappeared (as did a big chunk of me). I'd also recommend getting a seat with steel rails (not aluminum) as the aluminum ones have a tendency to fail. As for suspension (frame and saddle), I've never used it -- if you're riding relatively smooth paths and roads, you won't miss it. Steel frames are also your friend as they tend to handle bigger loads well and not fail in the way carbon (and to a lesser extent aluminum) can. As for position, that's up to you -- whatever makes you feel comfortable, I personally ride more upright. The big thing is to stick with it. The first few weeks will be really hard. But you'll see rapid benefits. Each day you'll get faster. Hills that were un-doable one week will be conquered the next. And the weight will drop off quickly. Within the first 2 months on the bike, I dropped 30 lbs (I bike commute) and I felt much healthier and happier, and indicators like blood pressure going back to normal backed that up. Good luck!