schiiism
Yogi on Wheels

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Diva Dura-Ace, 2012 Fuji Finest, 1986 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Really? I'm an REI member and I know nothing of free tune ups. I got my membership because I bought a bike there and they told me I got one free tune up on the bike I bought within the first year. They said nothing about free tune ups beyond that. With that said, their tune ups are generally cheaper than most LBS.

But I also recommend everyone that is serious about riding learn to do their own work. That's what I have done over the past couple of years. It saves money in the long run, it gives you a sense a satisfaction and better connection to your bike
Unless she was mistaken? I asked her twice because I didn't believe her. She was an associate in the Tustin store who went on a long winded spiel about what a great company REI is and all the benefits I get from forking over $20. Whether or not it's true, from these stories I wouldn't be comfortable rolling the dice with components that are so expensive to replace.

You're right though, and since I bought the Orbea last week I've been on a spree of buying tools and watching how-to videos! There's something about a nice bike that makes you want to take care of it more and not let strangers touch it lol. I also got an offer to work part time weekends at a bike shop, which I think will be a good way to learn more about bike mechanics as well.

Also, thank you for all the input when I was deciding whether to buy the Orbea or not. It really helped and I couldn't be happier with my choice! It feels like riding on a cloud