View Single Post
Old 06-27-14, 05:06 AM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
Dogs have teeth; we have our hands and minds. A strong man can defeat a dog if he can accept that he's gonna bleed some. I am not as strong as I once was (72 yrs & counting) but I still have the determination to take care of myself and others around me. A couple of weeks ago (literally) I had to kill a 130# Rottweiler that attacked me in my garage (long stupid story). He came at me and I did the following: I leaned toward him and raised my left forearm as he jumped toward my face. He sunk his teeth into the offered morsel and I lifted him up. At the same time I pulled my very sharp and very old Buck Woodsman (102) from its sheath and cut his throat. He was DRT (Dead Right There - cop talk). The stupid owner/kid came running and yelling. I told him that if he came into the garage, he'd get the same treatment. I then closed the door and called the Sheriff. Told them it should be code three as I wasn't sure what I might have to do to the kid and they'd better get over here to take charge. My wounds are healing; the dog didn't have time to shake his bite. The wounded arm, the dead dog in my garage, no leash, etc. meant that I was in no trouble, especially since the owner had been reported and warned three times about his Rottweiler's behavior, leash law and so on. I did not enjoy what I did but it'll just be another face in my nightmares of which I've plenty. Kinda wish it’d been the kid that came at me but I guess I shouldn't say that.

Joe
Joe's tagline is "living a fact based life".

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I read somewhere that even if a cop hits a perp with his flashlight and was not officially "certified" to use a flashlight as a weapon that the cop could get in trouble if some judge wanted to press the law.
I'm sure it differs from state to state, but in NY it is OK to use weapons of opportunity. Basically, the standard is did you act in good faith, was the action reasonable, and did you have probable cause?