View Single Post
Old 06-29-14, 06:15 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermespan
If philosophical discussion of bicycle social issues do not belong here, moderstors please move this post.

short story: Why are bikes 'a guy thing?'

Long story: Whether as an elementary school boy or adult, in 1965 or now, in Asia or Canada, things remain more of less the same - girls (except in Vietnam and China?) do not ride bikes.

I can think of a few possible reasons some from Victorian era, some based on the different ways are brains are hardwired. Never the less I find it strange.
My wife, daughter, sister, and granddaughter all ride bikes on a regular basis. My sister is an avid cyclist both on and off road. In the two cycling clubs I ride with the mix of male and female is pretty balanced and several of the ride leaders are female. One of the bike shops I frequent has a couple of female mechanics and the regional bike co-op has female volunteers, collective members and board members. On the charity centuries in the area there are numerous women. Even the gravel grinders are picking up more female participants. Cycling isn't any more a "guy" thing than running is a "gal" thing.