View Single Post
Old 06-29-14, 06:42 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadandmountain
The cycling industry caters primarily to male, middle aged, faux racer types. There's a huge emphasis on the latest gadgetry, and the vast vast majority of shop employees are male (perhaps 90%+ plus).

The expense and pretentiousness of the typical bike shop is really unfortunate. It has been a long time since I've enjoyed a visit to a bike shop. You're likely to see 3 types:

-gadget obsessed, annoyingly pompous owner with $11K bike.

- a couple of 30-something cat 3/4/5 shop managers with shaved legs, and $5K bikes who look down on anyone who doesn't have aero wheels and a carbon frame.

-half a dozen bonged out druggie mechanics who make minimum wage, but surprisingly, also have $5K bikes just like the 2 shop managers.

Even though I've been riding for about 25 years now, I can probably say that I've never actually enjoyed visiting a bike shop for the purposes of buying a bike or accessories.

The only times I've actually enjoyed my visits were for the free classes on bike maintenance.

Unfortunately, visiting bike shops has been the least enjoyable aspect of being a cyclist . . . . .

If I don't like bike shops, then a woman who is a novice must loathe them.
Dang, you need to find a better bike shop. There are six shops within an hour or so of my home and not one of them fits any of the descriptions above. I've been to others across the tri-state area and know many shops that cater to the recreational / fitness crowd. A few are more competition oriented than the others and I'm sure some of the owners do own high-end bikes, but I wouldn't consider any of them pompous or condescending. I see a lot more MTBs, cruisers, commuters, hybrids and fitness bikes than "racing" bikes or even road bikes in general. Gadget obsessed? . . . name a sport that isn't.