View Single Post
Old 10-15-05, 08:22 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
Yeah, c'mon, you're not "American fat" until you're past 250 and can barely walk. Why are you wasting our time with your piddling "European fat?"
Heh, heh... On 1-Jan. I was 245 lbs and at 5'5" I was certainly overweight by BMI standards. I was diagnosed with mild hypertension and it freaked me out a bit as my mum had died of an aneursym that was related to her hypertension. So my goal was to increase my cardiovascular fitness as measured by resting-heartrate, blood-pressure, VO2-max and recovery-rates from max. The weight-loss has been a nice side-effect that I couldn't care less about. Even today when I'm 180lbs, I'm still overweight. But I'm still losing it, hope to be down to 150 by the end of the year, then 145lbs by 1-Mar to being racing again.

Originally Posted by DRLski
How the heck did you lose that much weight in that little time? I was 195 in January and down to 160 right now but I've been at 160 for the past 2 months and am having a heck of a time loosing that last 20 pounds, trying to get to 140-145, I'm 5'7".
You've reach an equilibrium point between your fitness-level, calories-in and calories-out. It's the "set-point" idea. One of those three factors must change in orderWeight-loss isn't doing the same workout over and over again, the training must change was fitness increases to generete further weight-loss. As you lose weight and get more fit, your workouts must increase in intensity and get harder and more strenuous to lose that next 10 pounds. The final 10 pounds will require working out much, much harder than the 1st 10 pounds; you'll need to be doing rides of 60-80 miles along with a day of sprints, a day of intervals, a day of hillclimbing each week.