View Single Post
Old 07-01-14, 10:41 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
As someone who works on lots of lots of bikes, I will say, unequivocally, that Sram parts, most notably the road parts, are simply not built to tolerances that make for long service life. I had a well-ridden bike in the shop last week with 1st Gen. Dura Ace.....you know....from the '70's, and the rear derailleur STILL had less slop than the Scott with brand new RED that was in the stand. My personal 7800 Dura Ace kit with 30K on it is tighter and more precise than brand new RED.

The best thing about Sram is that they are happy to throw warranty parts at people because they know lots of slop gets past QC.

Frankly, I don't care about status, but to my eye, the real status seekers are the SRAM RED/Campy SR types that will put up with anything just so they can say they don't have Shimano. I just want my bike parts to last, not require constant tweaking when set up correctly, and be well thought-out in terms of installation.
When Shimano came out with DA the first year they changed the shifter to hide the cables, I rode it right after it came out. The guy I was with asked me what I thought. I said I think they will redesign it. They rushed it to market, I understood because of the huge amount of criticism they got for product delays in going to 10 speed, originally. Which is the reason SRAM entered the market. Those previous product delays.

As a result I put Red on my bike.

I truly do not care that much. I used to ride whatever I was given.