Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by ambro
I realize this is an old post but thought I'd jump in. The only leg exercise you should do is a Goblet Squat (3 sets of 8-10 reps). (Google it - it's very simple). The reason is that it will help alleviate the muscular imbalances caused by cycling - and, it forces perfect form and does not stress your knees. Overall - weight training is an essential part of any fitness program. If you are a competitive racer, then lift in the off season and stick to cycling in-season, because you likely won't have time for anything else. Other than that, you need to train for, what we call 'general physical preparedness' in the fitness industry- which you can only get with a combination of weight training and cardio. Cycling is a very catabolic sport. Your body actually breaks down on long rides. Weight training will help with overall physical conditioning if done correctly. I've been an avid weight trainer for over 30 years - and it is the sole reason that I can compete in bike racing in my late 40's, and have warded off numerous injuries from crashes and other things. Part of winning is who can play the longest - and weight training will allow you to compete / cycle, etc for many years longer than most people. You don't need to go crazy with it either - just 1/2 hour to 45 minutes 2 times per week is fine. Lift full body but don't forget the goblet squats.
+1
That's about what I've been doing for many years: twice a week in winter and early spring, whole body, about 30 minutes/session. I haven't see the Goblet Squat at our gym, but I'll give it a try. I've been using barbell squats, leg sled, and straight-legged deadlifts for leg strength. Still trying to go hard at 69.