View Single Post
Old 07-02-14, 06:12 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 289 Posts
Which event did you qualify for?

I'm not sure about meeting the regs but here is an article that provides a good overview of the details..........assuming it is still current. It would appear from the articly how you build it out and set it up appears to be just as much a factor from looking at the measurements.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for...egulations.pdf

Just some thoughts from my experience. You might be able to go with one size smaller TT bike than your traditional road frame. I noticed that on the Kestrel Talon (saw on Bikes Direct for $1399) the two largest frame sizes come with a 120 mm stem. That might be too long........at least it would be for me........I'm using a lot shorter stem to bring the bars in closer so my arms are more perpendicular to the ground and my back...it keeps my back flatter. I don't know how aggressive you want your riding position to be. If it is a longer TT event comfort wins out over form. If you're too uncomfortable you will not be able to hold your form and will lose power and speed.

Getting fitted to the correct size frame is pretty important for the best TT posture.

What kind of wheels will you be using? The most critical factors I've found in a TT are wheels and an aero frame. On our 10 miles events, having wheels made for TT events have shaved at least 1 minute off my times....that is a LOT. I use a cheap solid disc RENN rear wheel with a tubular tire and a HED 3 carbon spoke front wheel. You can also consider deeper rims that work pretty good too---lots of folks are making those these days. You might find some decent used stuff on ebay. Guessing the two used wheels are probably going to cost $600-$800 if you're able to find some bargains.