LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by kehomer

Instead of spending relatively big bucks on a lightweight frame, you might try paring a few pounds off the engine. Some of us, me included, could stand to lose a few lbs. Or, if you are happy with your present body weight, spend those extra bucks on light weight wheels/tires. You'll benefit more by saving X pounds from wheels/tires than X pounds in the frame.
Don't have to spend big buck for a light bike. I can get 25 lb MTBs on the CL for $75 pretty regularly around here. Then definitely go after wheel weight. Even a lot of 25 lb MTBs have 1.75 pound tires on them. Should get sub-500 gram knobbies or sub-400 gram slicks if riding mostly road.

Also, if riding a lot of road or dirt road I go after the gearing next. 48x11 isn't too bad, but bigger is better, IMO.

My Mongoose came with 44x11 high so I put a road crankset on it for mixed surface riding (long road ride out to the dirt, long dirt ride, then long road ride back.

Rode it like this in an STXC race Monday before last. Thinking about getting a 40T single ring up front for the rest of the season, then putting the 53 back on after for long dirt road rides (probably put the drop bars and Ultegra Brifters back on also).

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-02-14 at 01:02 PM.