Old 07-02-14, 10:44 PM
carfreeforme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dumb move? or not!

hey carfree living peeps...

I have a dilema, your input may help me..so feel free to reply/ask questions.

I am seriously thinking of giving up my Drivers License..it expires in Sept. this year.

I know if I do..I will not be able to drive any motor vechicle. I do not own a car, but have since gone carfree driven a few times, other's cars.

My wife does drive well..but she will not drive long-distances, like over 25 miles. Also she hates night driving..so that would limit us a bit.

We were planning a vacation road trip (rental car) this fall..though I could possibly move that up in early Sept.

Some reasons why I do not want to renew:

-Freedom's sake, in some sense..I don't want to be forced into having a drivers lic. if I do not want it! (I think just about everyone gets one when there young and renew til thier real old).
- Vision Test. Yup, I now wear glasses..last time did not..so I proably would pass with them on, but you never know..then If I did not pass they take driving lisc away right then.

-Cost. While a drivers lisc, is only like $26. for 4 years..a State I.D. card is around $12 for 5 years.

-being a purist? I mean if I am carfree..should I really should be driving, even everyonce in awhile? The whole point is to get away from cars.

Now, here are some other points in involved with my choice.

-To get a state I.D. you need a boat load of info (nope you can't just turn in your drivers lisc renenal slip, and instanly get a State I.D.).

-I may have to drive in a emergency..you never know, to get my family to the hospital, etc.

- My wife thinks I am stupid to give it up! She reminds me the whole process of geting a drivers lisc, is not that fun. (written test, road test, vision test, proof's of state res..etc)

-a lot of adults my age (40ish) only have state I.D.'s because they have D.U.I's or something like that.. I really do not want folks think I can't drive..Already riding a bicycle I get comments.."what you lost your drivers lis?" all because I ride a bike for errands.

so..I am thinking what choice I need to make. Any carfree lifer's got rid of thier drivers lisc voultanry?