View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 07:44 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by tsappenfield View Post
I qualified by taking second place in the 5 k time trial. Lot's of good info provided in this post so far. I'm still wondering about these time trial/triathalon bikes. Is there any real difference insofar as compliance with the rules? I've gone to the National Games website and the rules there are pretty general. Do the officials get out their tape measures? The Kestrel Talon comes with Oval 327 wheels which aren't exactly aero. I definitely would consider a wheel upgrade.
Tsapp
For a 5k you can handle some discomfort so try and get into an aggressive position as you can. I bet the officials don't look at measurements that closely unless you are using something very unconventional. Another change I made was in my saddle. If you find you can't tolerate the stock saddle or have a suitable replacement you might look at Cobb, Adamo or Fizik.....or any saddle with a little wider nose that lets you sit more forward in a little more comfort. But frankly I haven't found a saddle that didn't apply some pressure when you're in a very aggressive position. Might be some deals on eBay.....

But I'd put more money in wheels and less in saddles!!

(Also if you need some tuneups you're welcome to come down and do a TT at one of our events at Charlotte Motor Speedway---we have 3 more this year, July, August and September)