View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 01:58 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TSAPP, Congratulations on your result! I also qualified for the NSG event in 2015 at the Ohio Sr. Olympics last week. I raced in the 60-64 road races and TT's. Our 20 K road race was crazy fast and hard. We had a field of over 25 racers with about 9 out of state competitors. The out of state guys needed to have a top 4 finish overall to qualify which created quite the race dynamic with attacks and surges the whole time.

I raced in last summer's NSG in Cleveland in the Road Races but did the TT the prior years for the Ohio Champs. In the NSG last summer they did not require any specific race equipment or rider position limits. In USA Cycling events they do require that in TT events all bikes are required to meet UCI standards, but the NSG is not a sanctioned race. I raced the Ohio Senor Olympics this year using my track bike set up in Pursuit position with a raised seat and aero bar. In the 10K race I used a freewheel hub with a 16 tooth gear and a 51 tooth chain ring. I knew the wind and long hill at the beginning would be difficult with a fixed gear and the freewheel hub let me coast down the big hill. Anytime my cadence would drop below 120 rpm I would spin it back up until I lost form. In the shorter, out and back, 5 K TT I raced the bike in "fixed gear" mode with a 49/14 gear. I did put a single rear brake on the bike for both events.

A dedicated TT bike would allow you to have better time over your current setup. From my understanding the most important order of investment for a TT after conditioning is: Bike fit, Aero bar, Aero helmet, Aero frame, Skin suit, Wheels, Bearings