Old 07-04-14, 12:28 AM
89Trek970

Bikes: '89 trek 970, Trek Jet 20", Murray Venom 24", '97/8? Specialized Stump Jumper M2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repair a cracked set of chain stays on a Specialized StumpJumper M2? TIG/Braze/Scrap?

Hi,
I have just gotten back into riding with my family after a 10 year hiatus. Currently we are riding Rail-Trails in the Poconos / Lehigh Valley. I ride my trusty 89 Trek 970, towing a toddler in a trailer. My elementary child rides a Trek 6spd 20", and my wife got rid f a larger framed 26" MTB to a lower stand over 24" Murray Venom. When we get home from riding, she seems wiped from the heavy Murray.

I saved a small framed Specialized Stump Jumper M2 (98/99?) from my local recycling yard, complete minus the rear wheel, intending to pull the parts to lighten her Murray, but realized how much lighter this could be for her as a rail-trail bike. realized the previous owner had split both chain stays, approx. 1-1.5", one in the center and one near the dropout. Everything worked fine (including the suspension forks) once I added a rear tire. I'm not sure if this was a seamed tube or drawn tube, and thus unsure if it was worth repairing on my very limited budget.

I spent VERY little from the yard, but I am currently on a limited budget and she would never go for me spending $3/400 on a brand-new entry level bike for her. She will never use this for more than a recreational rail-trail bike, and my limited knowledge of these frames has me looking for help. IS this something I could have Brazed, and be safe/strong enough for a recreational, low speed bike for the next year or so until I can budget her a NEW MTB? I thought this might be a repair for a TIG welder and surveyed my local welding shop. Sight unseen they quoted approx. $75 to TIG. I was hoping to stay around $50, figuring it was a quick/easy repair. Or should I scrap it and look for another option...CAN I get a compatible alloy bare frame (HardRock) from Specialized or another MFG in my budget ($100) to transfer the components over to, or look for an aluminum major brand MTB in need of TLC to fix using the Stumpy parts?

I've been out of this for too long, and althought I know automotive repair & welding, this is not in my capability (beyond the Brazing as I have Propane, MAP & Oxy/A ).

Any thoughts and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated and accepted.
I am hoping to make riding a more enjoyable experience for her, and hopefully more frequent for the family.
Thanks,
Mike

BTW- Happy 4th of July!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SSJm2-3.jpg (93.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg
SSJm2-2.jpg (99.0 KB, 96 views)