View Single Post
Old 07-06-14, 02:43 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In My Personal Experience:

----- On roads with 25-mph or lower speed limits bicycles and cars mix just fine and VC works and works well regardless of how thick automobile and bicycle traffic are so long as everyone follows the rules of the road and respects each other and actually drives not like a total jerk.

----- Anything faster its a matter of the level of automobile traffic and the faster the road the thinner the automobile traffic and to a certain extent the thinner the cyclist traffic as well has to be for VC to continue to work well. Thus, in real world practical application VC on high speed roadways turns out to be an undesirable coaping mechanism that cyclist must unfortunately but necessarily use as a result of insufficient infrastructure to fully accommodate both cyclist and other vulnerable users safety and motorists strong desire to exercise their privilege of speed.

So, as to "VC cycling working until it works and then it don't work":

On slow speed (25-mph or less) roads that isn't true, but on high speed roads unless the roads are widened to provide sufficient additional width it is indeed true that VC is only a coaping mechanism.

I’d much rather ride on a good shoulder edge on a 65-mph roadway, when there is not a good shoulder edge then VC taking the lane is something I do because I must not something I do because it’s preferable. On the other hand, on 25-mph or less speed roads unless its going up a steep hill VC taking the lane is indeed preferable in most cases.