Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We had some incredibly long winters in Alberta in the years before I left (2009) ... in fact, in 2009, we had our last heavy snowfall on May 18.

And thank goodness I wasn't there last year, because they had their first snowfall at the beginning of Oct and the last snowfall at the end of April, with temps below 0 on into early May ... approx. 7.5 months of winter. I got the impression from my friends and family back there that they were pretty sick of it all. And after what seems like no time at all, they're back into snow again now.

I could handle Canadian winters if they went from, say, Dec 1 to Mar 1 ... but they just seem to be getting longer and longer.

It rains and gets quite chilly in this part of Australia, from about early-June to about end-Aug, but at least it is green ... and we don't have to deal with ice.
I have to say, I'm really enjoying the Hobart winter so far.

When I lived in rural Victoria, on the edge of the Australian Alps, I was told that winters in Hobart would be almost unbearably cold and miserable ... this after I spent so many years surviving Canadian winters ... and this after several winters on the edge of the Australian Alps. Where we lived there, the fog would descend in early June and not let up till September, and it felt so cold and damp. Temps often didn't get above 10C, often settling around 5C for the high.

But here in Hobart, it has been reasonably sunny and bright, and the temps have been in the low to mid teens ... one day last week actually made it up to 18C. There are some chilly wet days here, of course, but not like where we lived in Victoria.