Old 07-10-14, 01:54 AM
ajtedd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Really depends what model FSA crank you have on the bike...be it BB30 or a standard external BSA style crank that is adapted to your BB30 with spacers. A picture of the left crank arm at the BB would confirm which model FSA crank you have.
If you go to the Praxis BB, you need the longer spindle GXP BSA style FSA crank...or say a DA or Ultegra crank. A BB30 specific crank has too short a spindle to mount to BB where the bearings are external to the BB shell.

To the uninitiated this stuff may seem a bit complicated but it really isn't. Yes, there are a lot of good options. The problem with most bike shops is not only expertise but time. It takes time and know how to set a BB30 and why so many creak. Done right, they don't creak, plain and simple. So many struggle with BB30 and therefore opt for a Praxis solution which has the bearings outside the BB shell and the BB is held in place with an expanding collet. A very clever design that simplifies installation. But it isn't better than BB30 in the sense that the bearings are smaller, the BB weighs more, the bearings are sealed and non serviceable...both good and bad...and it costs more. You can go many thousands of miles with a couple of sets of BB30 bearings which are less than 10 buxs each and a bottle of Loctite and can of alcohol to make sure adequate bonding takes place.
All about choices. As to which Loctite...609 is good, but any of the green serviceable Loctite designed for bearing bores works fine.
Thanks campag, i will take a picture later this afternoon and post here.

I think i will try lochtite and follow the process you previously suggested before going down the praxis route. i do have a 105 crank sat in a box at home so all i need to get is the converter itself.

the fsa adapter / fsa converter has also been suggested to me on another forum. any thoughts? would i need a compatible bb for that one?