View Single Post
Old 07-13-14, 07:14 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
I'm not familiar with that saddle, but if its width is what you need, so be it. But, how did you determine that? I don't know what Trek dealers have, but Specialized shops have a neat little device for measuring sit bone width. If possible, get checked at a Specialized shop and see what it shows.

The theory behind the saddles is that there are wide "platforms" which are designed for the sit bones to rest on. Once this is achieved you should not have much pressure on the soft tissues, of either gender. One hitch is that if the saddle is too far back, your body is not in the position that best suits and it tends to reposition forward. This takes you of of the platforms. Another hitch is that if the saddle is tilted too far down you will tend to "fall down the slope" due to gravity. Again, your sit bones slide off of the platforms. I think you also could be falling off of the platforms due to reaching too far to reach the bars, for a third hitch. i think the final one is that if you have the saddle in the correct position and not tilted too far down, it could be tilted with nose too high. Even if everything else is fine, this could cause excessive pressure on the soft tissues.

So for your pain I think there are these four possible causes, not a simple problem. I can suggest the following first step to begin to see what's what. I don't know your answer offhand.

I'd suggest starting with the saddle all the way forward and dead level. Then try to pedal sitting bolt upright and notice if you tend to slide forward or back over say a 20 minute period. It's probably best to do this with the bike on a stationary trainer and with the front wheel propped up so the bicycle is level. We want to see if you need nose up or nose down from level.

I'd also suggest posting a good-size picture of you on the bike in riding position, viewed from the drive side dead on straight. From it one can make an assessment of whether you are reaching too far forward, and just get an overall impression of fit. It's possible to help someone fix their fit remotely, but it needs some direct information, and some teaching moments.