Old 07-14-14, 07:08 AM
rtwamski

Bikes: 2007 Felt F75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiehalifax
Hello! I am new (obviously) and am hoping to get some advice on what bike to buy for both myself and my husband.
Right now we are looking at getting used bikes on kijiji, so our options are fairly limited.
For myself, there is a 2010 giant avail 1 and a 2012 trek 1.1. The giant is 650, and the trek is asking 500. Are these fair prices, and which would be a better choice?

Would a triathlon bike be a bad choice?

Finally, is there any way for me to be sure that they haven't switched out the groupsets on the bikes? For the avail, I am not overly convinced that it's actually the model she is telling me it is. She says its the giant avail 1, which would have the shamano 105 shifters, but I don't think she knows what she is talking about as she was very reluctant to tell me the model number and her ad is very vague. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Josie
I haven't rode a tri bike before but I have been told they can be a little unstable if your not used to it. As far as the group goes, find the approximate year of the bikes. Google search them and use images to narrow down the exact year by comparing colors and graphics on the frame. From there use bikepedia to verify the original group. If you are traveling far to see it ask for pics of each component, if there are reluctant to share there is probably good reason and you shouldn't by from them.