Old 07-14-14, 12:47 PM
RTapz

Bikes: 2008 iZip Trailz AL, 2008 eZip Trailz, 1980 Raleigh Mixte, 1983 Sears Free Spirit Tourney 10 speed I've owned since 1992

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 eZip Trailz & 2008 iZip Trailz AL

Originally Posted by dumbass
Without question you can hear the motor (actually, you hear the gearbox not the motor). That said for $500 for a compete e-bike I don't see how you can beat the bike even with the gear noise. As for worrying about the warranty and shipping the bike back for repair....that's just not going to happen. First off I don't think they will make the actual repair. The warranty is for parts replacement only. Secondly, anyone and I do mean anyone can repair the EZip Trailz. If it breaks down call EZip and they will make recommendations of the repair required. And a 10 year old can install most any part on that bike including the electrical parts. Lets face it...the electrical parts are all plug ins. What has to be known to pull out a plug?

Yes the bike can be peddled with out running the motor. The motor drive has a freewheel and does not cause any drag at all. However, it is a heavy bike and the lead battery doesn't help. Some people make a big deal of the bikes weight. So let me tell tell you if you strip off all the things that make it an e-bike the Trailz is only a few pounds heavier then any other bike. And personally, I see nothing wrong with a heavy frame for use on an e-bike. But that's just me.

Bob

Hi everybody!
I bought the 2008 eZip Trailz and the 2008 iZip Trailz AL Oct, 14 2008 and so happy to see other here that knows what there talking about from experience.
I've only had to replace the drive chain, batteries and a flat on the rear tire of the eZip Trailz and it only takes a few simple tools to do that.

When I bought my bikes they were selling for $399.99 =$25 tax, for the eZip Trailz and the iZip Trailz AL was only $299.99 + $25 tax which was a streak of good luck for me, I've never had any luck at getting deals.

It was awesome to get the iZip all aluminum Hybrid eBike that does 23 mph for $100.00 less than the eZip Trailz which is all steel.
It's now fully dressed with chrome steel fenders, head light, tail lights, mirror, ES back pack on the front and a milk crate on the rear rack and two Master cable locks, one to secure the milk crate to the rear rack so the battery pack cant be lifted off while unattended and the larger Master Cable lock for the bike with it's aluminum hubs and quick release front wheel.

The reduction gear box on the motor is where you get the low pitch zing which is nice because you can tell how low your batteries are getting by the pitch of the motors sounds.

I removed the gearbox and repacked it with CRC Hi temp bearing grease and that reduced the sound quite a bit but not so much that I cant hear it when I want to and the grease increased the life of the motor a lot.
They really don't pack the gearbox that well at the factory that builds the motors for this bike and can be purchases for $129.00 online if you ever need a new motor.

After awhile you never really notice the sound of the motor, I like being able to hear it so I'll know how my batteries are holding up without depending on the idiot indicator light on the throttle.

My rear fender is short because I can flip the bike on it's back with just a pop of the throttle and not scrape my rear fender on the ground when I need to fix a flat or replace the drive chain.
Allen wrench, 10 mm box end, 15 mm box end wrench, and tire tool are all the tools you need to fix a flat, change the drive chain.

You can save yourself a lot of head ache and work if you take the odd size flat nut that holds the motor plate to the wheels axle and drill it out to 3/8" or pic up a washer at the hardware store the same thickness as the flat nut.
I don't know why they even used a odd ball size nut and not just a washer the same thickness with a 3/8" hole so it will fit the axle?
I times myself taking the rear wheel off after the making the flat nut into a washer and it only took me 8 minutes to remove the rear wheel and another 12 minutes to reinstall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
11-11-08-11-18-13.jpg (104.5 KB, 2 views)
05-08-2010.jpg (58.5 KB, 11 views)
Bikes-11-14-13 0130.JPG (17.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RTapz; 06-07-15 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typos