Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedoo
I lived on a busy street for years. The collision I had while backing out of the driveway affected my insurance rate and my decision of where to live next. I automatically excluded all main roads from my search and passed on some houses on streets with too much traffic. That is less of an issue now without a car, and the smaller lots in this neighborhood make it noisier, but I am mostly satisfied with my choice within the limits of my budget.
Originally Posted by Rowan
I seemed to have spent much of my life at the end of a cul de sac. I like that, and we are about to move to another cul de sac location.

I point-blank refuse to be on a busy main road. I was once, and some idiot ran into the back of my old car parked legally on the road, and never paid for the considerable damage. I swore then never again.

Yes, the "busy main road" is definitely a consideration when we've chosen a place to live.

In our previous town, our first house was on one of the main roads through town, and we hesitated over that decision a little bit because of that, but when we looked closely at the area, we realised that the traffic would likely die right off in an evening because the road became a twisty back way to get to the next town (not great for evening/night driving), and that we were far enough from the downtown area (about 500 metres) that it wouldn't be so busy where we were. And we were right ... by about 7 pm there was almost nothing on that road.

Our next house was near a school, and got a bit busy around 8:30 am and 3:00 pm, but that didn't bother us, and other than that, it was very quiet. Being within the 40 km/h school zone was also nice ... even though that's only for certain time periods, traffic tended to travel quite slowly most of the time.