View Single Post
Old 07-15-14, 01:53 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Yes, slushy salted roads are the big issue for a steel bike. My old Trek Sierra started rusting out after only 2-3 years, all around the BB area. I guess I should have applied rust-proofing to the inside when it was new. Chains would get destroyed in a matter of weeks during the late winter/early spring; I could oil the chain heavily, ride to work, and by the time I got home it would be rinsed clean and red. The requirements for its replacement included aluminum frame and top-routed cables. If not for salt, I think I'd prefer the steel as being stronger and less susceptible to fatigue.
'Pedals; The rust out at the bottom bracket (assuming you don't have a frame with cutouts in the bottom bracket) indicates that there is a leak somewhere such that salted water from the road is getting into the inside of the frame. Most likely spots are the little slot at the top of the seat post where the clamp is, the top of the headset around the stem entrance, and around the crank spindle at the cups. All of these areas should have had some axle grease applied to them during assembly to seal the gaps and keep water out. A second causal factor can also be not fitting a set of fenders for winter riding. Without fenders, the water from the road has a lot of opportunities to get sloshed onto the above mentioned areas. With these areas attended to, you should be able to ride a full month between major cleanups. Of course putting FrameSaver into the frame during initial build has a lot of long term merit also.

Regarding the chain; I am reasoned to guess that you need to do more than apply some oil to it. If it is washing off in a single day's commute, then the oil being used is not worth a damn for that purpose. Pick something more viable and see if it improves it. Might look for products specifically intended for bicycle chains.

Hope that helps (and apologize in advance if the above sounds preachy or condescending as its not so intended)

/K