View Single Post
Old 07-16-14, 07:30 AM
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you yet have the experience or knowledge to start wheel building and being paid for it. In addition to needing more builds under your belt you need to know how to use a spoke tension gauge effectively, how to determine correct spoke length, how to choose straight vs. various double butted options, dealing with dishing issues, understanding how to tell if a rim you are building is defective, whether your build or an accident led to a wheel being out of true. Most shops would expect you to determine at least the spoke length and be familiar with a tension gauge.

Finally, understand that building from scratch also takes a good bit of knowledge, about twice the cost of buying a bike already built and then changing out some components, and a huge amount of time, Doing so does not really do an efficient job of teaching you about bikes in general. If you want to do it as a "feel good" experience go for it.

Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

Please respect others by taking the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!