Old 07-16-14, 12:33 PM
Cyclingrookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I being too ambitious?

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum, and as a relatively new cyclist I am looking for a bit of advice.

At the end of August I will be taking part in a 24 hour cycle, I only started seriously training for this in around February, and up to last week had been working up the endurance distance each week by 10 miles, with the latest one last week resulting in a 140 mile ride. Now after this I obviously didn't feel like running a marathon, but didn't feel awful either, just tired really.

I usually ride five out of seen days a week, with atleast one shorter faster ride and a couple of other steady rides (around 30 miles).

Am I being ambitious in what I'm trying to do? Do you think on the amount of riding I am currently doing I will be able to go for 24 hours? If not, what should I be doing to make sure I am ready? I think I have a fairly good grasp of nutrition and am eating a drinking constantly on the bike.

Also, I am in the middle of a forced 2.5 week break from cycling, due to tweaking my knee playing football, and also going on holiday for a week. Will this have a serious effect on my training, or will I be able to sufficiently recover?

Thanks on advance for your help.