View Single Post
Old 07-16-14, 04:06 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by FixedFiend626
How long exactly (or how many miles) does it take to break in a B17? Is it torture until broken? I have a pretty bony ass so not sure I could more than a few hundred k's.

I had a pretty minimal saddle-to-bar drop when I first installed it (as I like a fairly upright position these days) but when I couldn't seem to get it comfortable I lowered it quite a bit (and then eventually slammed the stem) thinking that I had too much weight on my ass/sit bones. No dice. While the length of the saddle flexes noticeably more than others, the actual surface of it is quite hard.
I've never had a problem with a b17 being comfortable right out of the box, but I do futz around with set up for the first hundred or so miles. I believe the B17 really shines when your saddle to bar drop is even or bars above an inch or two. I haven't found it to be the best saddle with the bars an inch or so below the saddle.

I do generally futz with the setup of the saddle, and I like it with the nose tilted very slightly upward. Some people do really hate them, but for me they are the best out there.