View Single Post
Old 07-17-14, 01:07 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
folding:
Folding a Tubular Tire by Jobst Brandt
Ask Nick: Why you shouldn't take cues from the pros on position - VeloNews.com

You save weight on the rims, which is rotating weight. That matters more then the weight of a spare.
Apparently (from what I can tell from this and other references) the 'insides' of a folded tire will tend to stick together, but not to an unmanageable degree. From this I am assuming that the adhesion required to hold a tubular on a rim during a high speed cornering move comes from the pressure of an inflated tire against a rim (plus whatever that does to the adhesion of typical tubular glue). I can't think of any other reason that you could fold a spare tubular and pull it apart.

Regarding rim weight vs. 'other weight' it is a function of why you care about weight. If it isn't about accelerations (IOW mostly about climbing) then it doesn't matter. But if your concern is more about tracking the accelerations of an aggressive group in a crit or whatever, then yeah verily.

If I am incorrect on either of these points, I'd be interested in a better understanding - thanks.

dave