View Single Post
Old 07-17-14, 11:05 PM
Bonkin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to the forums and cycling, as well. I used to ride a BMX bike around as a teenager (who didn't?), but life took over and my pant sizes kept moving up. In 2007, I started running to help with quitting smoking and ended up running a few marathons, a few ultra marathons, and lots of shorter but faster stuff. I was loving trails the last year or so and finished with a trail 50 miler. The day before the race, I was already planning the next race - maybe a 100 miler. But when I finished and got home, I just plain didn't feel like running any more. Fast forward a couple years and I was a little over 240. I tried to run again, but my heart just wasn't in it. I did work down to 225 with some good diet and a little weightlifting.

Then I started shopping around for a bike and ended up with a Trek 8.1 DS. I thought I wanted a hybrid, because I wasn't into the road bike bar style. Anyway, I got it at the end last month and hopped on and rode a little over 20 miles. My legs hurt, my ass hurt, my hands hurt - but the rest of me was alive again. Even though I'm 48 years young and still want to lose maybe 40-ish pounds - I felt like a kid again. So I kept on riding most everyday. I rode a 40 miler with some friends and now I'm thinking about a 100k.

Anyway, glad to see so many folks having fun riding and working on goals - whatever they may be.