View Single Post
Old 07-20-14, 12:34 AM
Furcifer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, thanks, and what do you think?

Hello, all. This is my first post here. Ive been on bicycles almost all of my 26 years, though I had never rode a "road bike".

I was getting curious about them, and I picked up the first one I found, a huge 1982 Schwinn traveler. Im only 5'10", but I really, really enjoyed riding this bike.

A friend liked it, and asked if I would fix up a piece of rust he had in the shed. I go to pick it up, and find it to be a 70's Azuki.

My first thoughts were that it was too bad off, and would not be salvageable. Research showed that it wasnt worth saving anyhow, but, I gave it a wirl. I thought it would at least be a great learning experience.

I may have been able to do it without google, but it would have taken much longer. Google lead me straight here most times, and I learned alot through searching the forum, a big thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Now that Ive had a chance to ride an appropriate sized bike of this variety, Ive decided to get rid of the Schwinn, and find a new project that will fit me. The Azuki was a dream to ride when complete! I didnt feel as if I were over the wheels, but snug between them!

I cant wait to start the next project, but in the mean time, I wanted to share my work with others that might actually care/be interested.

Its far from a perfect restore. There was a ton of rust on everything, and I fear the components will start to rust more again very soon. The frame I feel I did a solid job on, removing all rust, and powder-coating it. The deraillers have been hard to dial in, and the rear one was bent, and needed straightening out. I also fear the rear cassette has internal damage. I was able to remove it, but not open it up. None of the three lbs here could either. It operates smoothly most of the time, but on occasion while power is being applied amply to it, it seems to "glitch", for lack of a better word. (Does this sound repairable?)

Overall Im happy with it, and hope you all will share your thoughts.

First pic is a before pic, right when I brought it home, then a size comparison with my Schwinn whilst still being assembled, and then the finished bicycle.

-SS