View Single Post
Old 07-21-14, 03:35 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
That is not encouraging... unusual complications?? Thanks Rob and Hermes.
My biggest issue is the lack of mobility of the shoulder. Was two weeks in a sling before getting it operated on; had Easter holidays and Anzac day in between making it hard to see a surgeon for a second opinion (hospital wanted to just sling and leave to heal). Then nearly another 8 weeks in a sling after till I could see the surgeon again with another x-ray. This last x-ray just under 8 weeks post op showed the bone knitting okay but I could barely move my arm after being imobilized for nearly 10 weeks. Took a couple of days just to be able to straighten the arm fully!

Physio doesn't want to call it a frozen shoulder yet, but the lack of mobility was the main reason the surgeon didn't want me riding. The Surgeon is a cyclist and has operated on some domestic pros so knows about riding and how keen I am to get back riding. I don't want ignore his recommendation as I went private self funded and don't want to risk damaging it by riding too early and having to go back for more... I was at least given the okay to run 3 weeks ago so have started running most nights at first with the sling and then without - bliss to be exercising outside! Was on the trainer soon after the operation but after 6 weeks got so sick of having to ride with minimal resistance and upright cradling the arm...

Not saying the above will happen to you as I landed very hard on my shoulder which continued to hurt long after the surgery (full over the bars somersault at 55km/hr with the back of my left shoulder taking the impact) so definitely worth following up with a surgeon or two for their opinion of your break and situation.

Need to take in all the pros and cons with getting the collarbone plated. My break was close to the end so couldn't be pinned...

Pros

Theoretically quicker return to riding - my bone ends was so apart that they hadn't even started knitting after two weeks, so no idea if the bones would have healed yet.
Less likely to have ongoing issues due to the shoulder still sitting close to the original position.

Cons

Surgery always had elements of risk. Going under full anaesthetic, risk of infection, cut nerves fitting the plate resulting in numb areas on the shoulder.
If left in (some people find having the plate uncomfortable as there is only thin layer of skin over the collarbone) the plate end is a weak point and will break more easily next time at that point.
If the plate is removed all the screw holes are weak points plus you need to go under full anaethetic again to have it removed. If left to heal naturally and heals properly, this is the strongest option.
Possibility of not able to have MRI's in the future and finally getting hassled by airport security when you set off airport metal detectors...