Old 07-21-14, 11:48 AM
Coachtj Cormier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BK128
OK, fair enough, there are many flaws in the above. Let's discard it.

But can we turn this into a learning experience for all, myself included? That'll probably be more productive for anyone reading this than continuing to break down the original post without offering an alternative.

How would you design a plan for a hypothetical person that's relatively new to cycling that a) wants to lose weight, and b) wants to ride faster in 90-120 minute group weekend rides?
Ok Fair enough.
What I do for the clients I've worked with is:
We start with a Prep Period this is about 2-6 weeks depending on experience.
Week 1 on the bike would be something like this
Day1: 45-120min Low Endurance(L1-3) pace with 1x5-10min all out effort. Recover then 3-7short(10-15sec) Sprints with 2-5min recovery
This is just to prime energy systems.
Day2: Test Day We need to see where we are to have anidea of where we're going on how we're going to get there. I usea field test for clients that have a PM.
For this after a warm up 1x5 min all out, recover 3-7min then 20-30min TT effort. I use the last15-20min to set training levels.
For those with out a PM and are relying on HR I recommend a labtest or for local clients we do a step test on a Comp-u-trainer to set uo levels.
Day3: easy ride 1hr L1 or a day off
Day 4 Endurance Ride(1.5-3hrs) with 30-60min L3(tempo )work. You can do this as 1 block or 2x15,2x30 etc. keep the rest periods short(under5min)
Day5 Endurance ride L1-3 (1-3hrs) Keep it steady.
Day6 Endurance ride 30-60min L3 with a short sprint/surge every 3min.
Day 7 Off
For strength training I start with (for local Clients)a postural/ functional movement Assessment. This gives us a better idea of what the client needs in term of thier strength training program, for non-local clients I do recommend they find someone who is quailifed to do this. This way we know what they have for muscular imbalances and if there are any mobility/flexiibility issues that we can work on.
Normally it's just basic things to start with a push, pull, twist, core, squat exercises.
For example 1-3 sets of 12-15 with 20-30sec rest. Squat, push up Hamstring curl on Stability ball, core exercise, Row (TRX is good for this). 2times week (all are Body weight). You can even do these in blocks of 20-30sec with the same rest preiods, doing it this way is good but you still focus on good form so you can do them quickly. The idea is to get the movement patterens down to make sure the client can do the exercise correctly before we start to add resistance.