Old 07-23-14, 06:33 AM
Blue_Bulldog

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fortheblvd
I'm a dietitian in my day job. Don'y worry about that 10 lbs prior to this ride. You'd probably have to do something drastic to lose it quickly, and that's not what you need before a big event.

Physically, you sound strong and fit. Visually, if you're worried about it, get a tape measure out and take an accurate measure of your belly. Feel where the highest point of your hip bones is, and use that as your measurement marker as you wrap the tape around, parallel to the floor. Weight and circumference are 2 different things. Good luck!
You make a good point. Which makes sense because you're a professional.

I guess I have to realize the last 10lbs are more cosmetic than health. There's a distinction between on the bike and by the pool. Maybe training while I'm not dating was a mistake?

Since I have a dietician's ear.... my roommate says these sticky 10lbs that weren't here last summer have something to do with my metabolism. That last summer it was the first time I did this and my body was freaking out because we'd never spent calories like that before, but this summer my body knows the drill and is burning calories differently. He's a web designer and not a dietician, so is there any logic to that? Am I carrying more riding weight because I'm taking in training calories but my body can handle it better? Or does science not work that way?