View Single Post
Old 07-23-14, 10:15 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Not unfair or misleading at all, I was actually being technical with my description. According to the government body which defines what constitutes a bicycle helmet, they are defined by how a manufacturer markets a helmet.

CPSC published rules and regs definition of a bicycle helmet, p. 11715:

Yes, a bicycle helmet isn't one unless the seller says it is. That's just reversing the statement that someone can't sell a helmet that doesn't meet the standard. All government rules have some kind of similar statement to define the turf. In this case it ensures that Stetson can't be held to the helmet standard when they sell 10 gallon hats.

But I posted only because the way you made the statement in response to the quoted passage implied that fashion was trumping engineering in helmet design. If that wasn't the intent, consider my post as a minor technical correction and ignore it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-23-14 at 11:07 AM.