View Single Post
Old 07-24-14, 08:51 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
There were two builders of the same name BATES. Which one is this? I used to have the distinction stored in my head — but my being the sort who cannot remember his own phone number, it's all gone at the moment.

My Dad had a Bates when he served in the RCAF/RAF in Britain during WW!!. All during my youth he would recall the beauty of the machine — talk about it at parties to people who could have cared a toss about bikes. He sold it when he was repatriated to Canada. My mother met him while he was riding this machine.

Well ... that was a lasting impression. Apparently, the frame had very arabesque type lugs and came to him with road wheels, as well as a set of of bamboo rims fitted with silk tires for track work. All my memory of his rants suggests to me that it had a multi-ratio drive — and perhaps a SA hub.

He joined a local cycling club near where he was posted and when not on duty rode on weekend rides through the English countryside. The club members were mostly factory workers whose passion was cycling. Dad was very fit, despite being a smoker, and ran the mile event for 85 Group, RAF. But, he said these club riders were difficult to keep up with. He probably had the best machine of the lot.

A nice build and I admire and envy what you have bought and cared for. I despair that I will never be able to do the same — but WTH.