Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
Yes, it is a very nice fit, LOL.

Not only am I am going fast and recommending the comfort/ergonomics of the fit, but also pro riders are getting small frames and long stems.

Mark Cavendish is 175 cm height (about the same as me) and went from a 52 (smaller than my bike above) to a 49cm (!) bike with 140mm stem.

Pro bike: Mark Cavendish's S-Works Venge - BikeRadar

Personally I think his bike looks a bit too small for him, and lacking goofy specs, seems to have his neck crained upwards

but he is a lot faster than me.

You do not need to have a small frame to lance your road bike.
Just move your bars and saddle 5cm forwards, and go down as far as you can comfortably go.
Ok, so you post this picture as an example, but you're missing one thing. He may be on a smaller bike with a long stem, but his saddle to bar drop is what you would call reasonable, maybe even conservative for a pro fit. What you have going on is entirely different. Another example: Cancellara is about 6'1" but still rides a 58 with a slammed 140mm stem. So he's long and low, but his bars aren't in a position to suggest that he is in a diving competition. I'm 6'2" and usually end up on 56 cm frames, but my saddle to bar drop is about 9 cm. And honestly, I usually end up on "endurance" geometry frames. I'd probably get a 58 cm frame in a racing geometry.

I mean, if it works for you, that's great, but you seem to imagine that everyone would benefit from doing this and so far, I see a grand total of one person that claims to benefit from this position.

Also, notice in the picture you posted that Cav does not require special eyewear to see straight ahead.