Old 07-24-14, 01:44 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
While I am (obviously) not so averse to pointlessness, I do kind of agree that this may not belong in the commuting forum, which is consistently concerned with improving safety, not bypassing safety. (It would fit great in Foo though...)

There is a traditional method for obtaining a lighter, better-ventilated helmet, which is to pay a lot of money for a lighter, better-ventilated helmet, without compromising safety. I haven't seen participants in this thread resonate with your desire for light/air with no concern for reduced safety.

There have been many helpful suggestions.

Consider it logically. There are many people for whom the extra protection provided by helmets is insufficient to justify, for them, the inconvenience of wearing one. Much of the inconvenience, most often alluded to by this group, revolves around the blocking of air flow, the weight, the bulkiness, and the appearance.

There are also people, who do wear helmets consistently, and who value the increased airflow, reduced weight, and at least some sort of styling enough that many of them pay considerably higher prices for those qualities. Even of those who don't religiously wear helmets, there are many who value those qualities. So this group values the same attributes that I've enumerated.

A third group, while skeptical that the risk calculus justifies doing anything extra, wear helmets at least occasionally for other reasons, which have been discussed here.

The intersection of these three groups has non-null membership. Any member of that intersection will necessarily value the considerations of wear-ability, comfort, reduction if bulk, and appearance more than considerations of safety enhancements. Simple declarative logic.