Old 07-25-14, 08:57 AM
Dolanarc1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
My thoughts exactly, Matt.
@Lenton58 - the distinction between the Bateses didn't start until post-war. The Bates Brothers (Horace and Eddie) Split into Bates of London (Horace) and E.G. Bates (eddie) in '47. E.G Bates are not built with Cantiflex tubes or Diadrant forks.
You are exactly correct, my mistake. I contacted the gentleman that I purchased the bike from and received this information,

The Bates that you have is the "Volante" Model. That bike is 1936 and it's the first year of the "Volante". This bike is
extremely rare and from what I know, there are no other surviving 1936 Volante models. I'm not exactly sure
when "Bates" bicycles started production but I believe it may have been around the '20's. (Volante was introduced in '36)

The "Volante" originally came in one color only - matte black with gold lining. This bike was stated by the previous
owner before he passed away that it is the original bike raced by the great Torchy Peden at the 1937 Wembley
Six-Day bike race in London England. It is believed that this bike is still in its original paint.

Thanks guy's for improving my knowledge,