View Single Post
Old 07-25-14, 11:59 PM
gate28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have just aquired a Nexus SG-8R20. It's used but not very much. It is the future replacement for my Nexus 7, which has long served me trustilly and faithfully. According to sources (Sheldon Brown is one) this version of the hub (SG-8R20) doesn't have a roller clutch. It apparently has 'pawls' only.
I have looked at drawings of the internals (Shimano). My question is, is the roller clutch the band of cylindrical bearings between the internal cyclinder and the hub case?
In which case I cannot find a drawing of a SG-8R20 that doesn't have these roller bearings.
I can understand in principle why a roller clutch is better at changing gears under pressure. And this Nexus SG-8R20 feels dodgy pushing down and changing. I was very surprised as I have used a Nexus inter 7 for 10 years and that hub is silent and you can change going up hill with no clunking.

Doe the inter 7 have a roller clutch? What actually is a roller clutch? Should I get rid of this version of the Nexus 8?

And also I have to add that coaster brakes are the only way to slow down. Why anyone would bother with rear rim brakes is beyond me. But please focus on the 'clutch' question, not on brakes.

Thanks.

Last edited by gate28; 07-26-14 at 12:07 AM.