Old 07-27-14, 08:43 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Harry
.... I'm horrible on getting lost...nothing worse than finding yourself along about 80 miles out counting down the miles one by one, and then realize you've taken a wrong turn and don't know where you are [I attend events in several states here in the south]. Last year, I'd have ended up in South Carolina [in an event from NC] if I hadn't realized I was off course and stopped to call the SAG. I ended up doing a 'not planned century' that day. Anyway, the mapping functions are most important to me...so these comments have been very useful to me. Thanks again [ragballs help makes one want to 'pay it forward'...high marks
Yeah, back in the day I relied on just cue sheets and my trusty cycle computer ( for distance ). Still there are things that take you by surprise, namely closed roads and bridges or roads that seem to change names even though you've made no turns. In those situations ( without a map) you could be SOL. Yep, nothing more disgusting than to ride several miles on a supposed short cut only to find that it is a dead end.

I can't even imagine going for a ride now in unfamiliar territory without a GPS device. Sure, you can ride without one but having a GPS device makes riding into the unknown much more pleasant and relaxing. The more relaxed I am the more enjoyable the ride. Not to mention that when you use a GPS device you really don't have to worry or fixate on "how many miles to next turn" ...etc...
This means you get to relax, look around and take in the scenery and that my friend ( from my perspective ) is what cycling is mostly about.