View Single Post
Old 07-28-14, 07:51 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cobolman
I find that I start to run out of gas at around 55 minutes to an hour. My energy level goes down. If I stop for 5 minutes and have a half of a nuit bar and some more water i am fine. It this normal or will it get better as I get more miles under my belt?
If by "having" a nuit bar.... you mean melting in into a needle and injecting it in your leg muscle.... I can't believe that is a big help in only 5 minutes. Of course.... I guess you could be diabetic or something. So maybe a check-up wouldn't hurt.

90 minutes to 2 1/2 hours is my typical ride.... and I wouldn't/don't even think about eating. I used to eat when out on my rides.... when I was really overweight. But I am sure that was more in-my-mind.... than a real need for food. I do stay hydrated, drinking about one big swallow every 4 miles.

Next time you feel like your "out of gas".... maybe just taking a break and drinking a little water might be enough. Or... wear a heart monitor to get a little better idea of what's going on.

Don't assume that cycling will burn-up all those extra candy bar [health bar] calories. It is plenty easy enough to eat more than cycling burns!