Old 07-28-14, 08:55 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
Come to Asia and then complain - here in Singapore the number of cyclists riding without lights at night is at least 50%, arguably the majority being foreign workers with dark skin and more-often-than-not dark clothing.

I'm sure the statistics for many our neighbors are MUCH worse.
I lived in China for about over six years and I did notice that few cyclists used any lights at all; add to that the reality that bicycles never have the right of way and you get exactly what people expect, carnage.

What does that prove? nothing.

I do suppose that be seen lights are a bit pointless in an environment where you never have the right of way in the first place. . . (the logic is that bicycles are for poor people and cars are expensive; therefrom are used by more important people . .. and yes, the only word that translates is "important")

Back to the US, which seems to be the subject of discussion. Yes I use lights at night, and yes, largely to be seen. Sometimes I use a blinkie in the daytime; primarily when I am riding at the speed of, therefore mixing with, traffic.

I even got a dyno-hub on my most recent commuter bike so I wouldn't have to think as much about the light. That being said, I do side in with those who oppose legislated lights. First, I happen to be in favor of less laws as a general principle. Second, if the unexpected happens (look longer than planned, dead batteries. . . whatever) the law leaves you in a bad spot; whereas, without the law one can ride on by being hyper-vigilant.