Old 07-28-14, 09:23 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Everyone calm down, group hug. Now this is my kind of race bike

Madison-Genesis made their international debut at Challenge Majorca this week and the team’s Genesis Volare 953 attracted plenty of attention in the professional peloton.
Why? It’s made from steel – which makes it unique in an age where carbon fibre machines are ubiquitous at the highest level of the sport.

The frame, unveiled at the London Bike Show, is designed by UK-based Genesis and made from Reynolds 953 stainless steel tubing. Reynolds’ top-of-the-range tubing is notoriously difficult to work with but Genesis chief Dom Thomas has designed a frame which he says is fit for racing at the highest level.
And early-season results are testament to that, with Ian Bibby winning the indoor London Nocturne on the team’s debut in January, before registering a fine top ten finish on Challenge Majorca’s mountain stage.
We checked in with the team in Majorca and took the opportunity to take a closer look at Dean Downing’s machine.

Pro bike: Dean Downing's Genesis Volare

Interesting, but what's the point of using 953 if you're going to paint it? If I had a stainless bike, I'd let that sucker shine. Sure you want decals to advertise yourself, but there's got to be a way to do that without hiding the 953 under an ugly coat of paint. Unless someone has shown some sort of evidence that paint is more aerodynamically slippery than unpainted. Aw heck, screw it, even then, you gotta go with the shiny.