eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
^ thanks, oldskool.

the chain was noisier than i liked. and the rd's upper pully was too close to the cogs for my taste. so i shortened the chain 'too-much.' this seemed to help the noise, but certainly limited me from accessing lower gears when on the big chainring.

one issue that may have led to the tight space between cog and pully is the lack of a b-screw on the nuovo record rd. i've never run into this issue with nr derailleurs on other bikes, so it may just be this particular on-frame derailleur hanger on the davidson. it originally had a super record rd on it. this nr derailleur seems to lean closer to 4:00 rather than 4:30 (if that makes sense).

i bought a new sunrace 7 13-25t that hasn't arrived yet.

i'm also going to pickup a new kmc x8.93 or x9.93 chain if, after the new fw is mounted, i still experience noise.

i think the kmc x8 is 3/32" wide, and their x9 chain is 11/128" wide. i assume the current sram chain is 3/32" as well, so i may try the x9 chain with the sunrace 7 if the old chain stays noisy.

i'm a little excited about making the switch from sram to these neat looking kmc chains. the two brands are basically the same price, and kmc claims their 'x' models are somewhat "stretch proof." that's probably the biggest problem with the sram pc830.

Last edited by eschlwc; 07-28-14 at 08:39 PM.