View Single Post
Old 07-29-14, 01:10 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsTimeToBike
Thanks GB - "Gran Compe" wasnt listed in the specs but happy to know they're a bit special.

The dusty mess of bags are "Voyageur" as well. We'll have to wash them and see how they turn out.

Sakae/Ringyo (SR) Silstar SP-11 pedals are unusual - having just the reflectors hanging down where the opposite side of the pedal is usually found - at first I thought the pedals were broken and only half the platform was left! )

So what tires does a tourer get for 27 rims these days? My inclination is to maintain original as possible so will stay with the 27's for now.
The SP-11 were the top of the line touring pedals used on the flagship tourers of the mid 80s.

Really, your whole bike is a LOT of some of the best stuff in Touring Bikes in 1986.

Schwinn used to have the prime touring bikes as the Voyageur and the Voyageur SP. The SP was the flagship, top of the line tourer, with the best frame and the best components. I have a 1984 Voyageur SP. I don't think I even understood how much of "the good ****" was on the VSP until I thought about the Sealed Bearing Hubs and put that in context of 1984. That's space age stuff. The "Voyageur" had a little different frame and a lot of the same components, but sometimes a step down the component level. Regardless, it was still a PRIME, badass touring bike.

In 1986, Schwinn wrapped their premiere touring program into the Voyageur- a new Columbus Tenax frame, and a lot of the Class A components from the VSP with some of the good components out of the Voyageur.

You've got a REALLY nice bike. The Tenax frame, the Gran Compe levers, the SP-11 pedals, the best ratcheting shifters Shimano ever made, the really cool quick release DiaCompe cable hangers (take care of those- they're awesome and pretty much impossible to find now days), the bomb-proof Wolber wheels, I think you've got the DiaCompe 981 brakes... It's a REALLY nice bike. Plus, like you said, that green with the gold and red decals looks really "business."

Be careful washing your panniers, detergent may cause the old waterproofing to just start causing a flaky mess. I'd try dry brushing or maybe a rinse and brushing- but no detergent.

As far as tires go- I've got 3 old tourers, and I'm running Panaracer Pasela Tourguard (or PT model- Same thing) 27 x 1 1/4. If you do ever want to go to 700C... I don't know how the Voyageur was done- but a lot of older 27" wheeled canti-braked bikes had the cantilever posts not only higher, but also narrower- so it *may* cause issues if you were to go to 700C. However, I've read that the DC981s are really adjustable.

FWIW- here's my 1984 VSP

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 07-29-14 at 01:18 AM.