View Single Post
Old 07-29-14, 09:49 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheGlutton
AB are you using a Front Derailleur (FD) adapter like this one?

I see an article on the Hands On Bike Blog that describes many upgrades, but specifically mentions that adding a FD to a Dahon Mu is difficult. Difficult and impossible are two very different things, so this gives me hope.

It looks like the adapter has a "rail" that would give you extra height you might need?

CPG, I had also thought about just doing a hand shift when necessary, I wonder if some sort of a derailleur cage on-a-stick would make the job less messy?
The adapter that I purchased is shown and linked on post #59 in this thread. It's cheaper than the Litepro but is essentially the same thing. That sliding riser part is a contributor to the problem, it interferes with the rightside rear stay. I also read that blog that you linked; his issues sounded more like setup issues; note that his rear triangle does not use monostays rather a more normal triangulated rear end. So he has clearance required for the sliding bit that holds the derailleur.