Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
I disagree. He's obviously not as sophisticted as you are and the plastic disc is there for just such a person. You may have had a bad experience, but for the overall majority of new bike owners, the disc does the job, hence placed there by the manufacturer.

I don't use/like the disc, but I can't assume that everyone can adjust their gears and build a wheel from scratch either.
I'm far from sophisticated. Just reporting that i ONLY have TWO mounatain bikes. And each bike had a dork disk break on me and ruin to different rides. In fact out of the 12,000 plus miles i have logged on my mountain bikes in the last 25 months, the dork disk is really the only mechanical trouble i have had short of one crash with a bent derailleur hanger and several flats.

YMMV, but the spoke protector is a very weak link on a bicycle. Ride long enough, and you'll find out why. I agree that a complete moron probably needs one to keep from throwing his chain into the spokes. With that said, a complete moron like that probably shouldn't even be on the bike to start with.